Go back to normal view
The windows in the chancel east, St Winifred's Chapel and south aisle west were all made by the William Morris studio of London. The studio was formed by Morris in 1862, originally as Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. It was reorganised as Morris & Co. (the Firm) in 1874 and relocated to Merton Abbey in London. At that date Sir Edward Burne-Jones replaced earlier artists of the calibre of Morris, Rossetti, Madox Brown and Webb as the sole stained glass designer, a position that he retained until his death in 1898.
The two east windows were inserted during the earliest phase of the Firm in 1863 and 1869; the west window is a product of the final decade of the Firm at the end of the 19th Century.
Compared to many counties in England Cornwall has the small total of only ten Morris windows, but they are all of high quality, and together they represent every stage in the Firm's output. Three of these are here, at Ladock: they represent some of the finest products of the Morris studio.
Photos: Courtesy of Lindy Van Welie